Friday, May 28, 2010

John Responses to Gwinnett Forum Questions

John Heard Candidate for Gwinnett County Commissioner District Four (4)
Republican Primary


Why are you seeking office?

I am running for Gwinnett County District 4 Commissioner to fill the void of Leadership that currently exists on the Commission. I enjoyed my service in the Legislature – I feel I have much to offer to County Government


What do you expect to accomplish if elected?

Energize the business community and use the power of government to assist in making Gwinnett the Number one destination for business and industry .I would like to help create a research and hi-tech corridor similar to the Raleigh-Durham triangle in North Carolina centered around Georgia-Gwinnett College. New jobs are sure to follow. The Chamber of Commerce and the County need to re-forge the partnership that once existed.

What distinguishes your candidacy?

I am the only candidate in the race with governmental experience. I have a track record I am proud of. I have 35 years experience running my own business. I know what it is to meet a payroll. I have been a leader in the Georgia House of Representatives. I know how to build a consensus. I am the only candidate with the “horse power” to garner the respect from the fellow commissioners to get things done.

What are the key issues in your race?

1. Make the county business friendly.
2. Restore trust in government by being more accessible
3. Keep taxes low – better budget planning
4. Improve traffic flow
5. Listen to what people want.
Pick one issue. Expand on how you will address it.

Making Gwinnett County the number one place in the United States to do business. I want government to create a pro-business climate. The County government and Chamber of Commerce have historically worked together, but there is room for improvement. The county needs to set a policy that everyone that comes to or does business with Gwinnett is a “customer” and must be treated accordingly with respect and appreciation. Tax credits and incentives must be expanded for new and growing businesses. Local businesses desiring to do business with the county should have an advantage when being considered as a contractor or supplier. Taxes on inventory should be eliminated for all businesses.


100 word summary of my background.

Born in Forsyth County, I graduated from Cherokee High School, Young Harris Junior College and Southern Tech, where I received a degree in Architectural Engineering. I’ve been married for thirty-two years to Debbie nee Barrett. We have two daughters, Jill, a local lawyer, and Leigh, a student at Greater Atlanta Christian School. I began my architectural career in Lawrenceville helping grow a firm from 3 to 45 employees over a period of 13 years. I opened John Heard Associates in 1991 and sold it in 2001 and stayed on as Senior-Vice President of that 250 member firm. In 2003 I left the large firm and opened John Heard Architects – a local Lawrenceville business. In 2002 I was elected to the Georgia House of Representative. I served there for 6 years rising to Chairmanship of 3 different major committees.

No comments:

Post a Comment